April 28, 2011

OKC Advances To 2nd Round With 100-97 Win Over Denver

I love playoff basketball. Granted it helps that my hometown squad just advanced to the 2nd round with a gritty win over a solid Denver squad but that is neither here nor there. Playoff basketball is more exciting to everyone, especially dedicated fans like myself. Go ahead, ask the casuals. Even they will tell you that playoff games have a more important feel to them. Possessions mean more, misses became bigger, turnovers more costly. 

Speaking of turnovers, OKC had struggled to take care of the rock last night. Turnovers are frustrating to me because many of them are unforced, similar to an unforced error in tennis. I would much rather the other team get a steal or knock it off one of our guys. Why? Because at least the latter requires action from the defender.

From my experience, mistakes are more visible when a team loses and overlooked. But Russell's performance glared at me like a grandma that overheard me say an inappropriate word like, "crap."

Don't get me wrong, I like Westbrook's style of play. But the times he chooses to assert himself on the offensive end seem to come at inopportune times. Like when the scoring champion hits a big three near the end of the game to give the team a chance at victory, please do not shoot your 7th and final 3 pointer after making 0. When you're shots aren't falling, find other ways to take over the game. For example, get 10 assists, lock down on the defensive end or grab a few extra rebounds. Russell is the not the only person that suffers from "checking out" when the offense isn't coming as easy. 

Some other notes from the game:
  • I have waited this long, but I can't hold back any longer. Kevin Durant was other-worldly in the last 4 minutes of the game. He missed one shot on the way to racking up 16 points and getting a big block on a J.R. Smith 3. This is the kind of finish that people will talk about. And I don't mean for the next day or two, I mean years.
  • Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins. Ibaka and Perkins. Iblaka and Perk. That has a nice little ring to it, ya? When Perk gets into better game shape and erases any doubts about his knees, those two will be THE most intimidating front-court, at least physically. Defenders thoughts might echo something like this: "Should I stay down and get bodied up by Perkins, or attempt a shot and get embarassed by Ibaka. Better kick it out."
  • Thabo slid under the radar pulling down 8 rebounds to go along with 8 points. The more of a threat he is offensively, the better our offense can execute. 
San Antonio survived last night by some late game heroics coming from Gary Neal, so the Thunder's 2nd round playoff opponent is still yet to be decided. Follow me on twitter, MakingItRainOKC.




No comments: