February 4, 2011

Thunder Swat Hornets, Take Season Series 3-1

After providing me with my first taste of NBA action in my hometown, the Hornets flew back to New Orleans leaving me with a burning desire for a team to call mine--permanently. Everytime we have played them since their departure, I have slowly gotten over my petty crush. At this point, my petty crush has turned into a feeling very similar to hatred. Chris Paul flops, and it drives me crazy. The softest player we have is Nenad Krstic, but he's from Europe, the birthplace of miniscule contact resulting in grenade-esque reactions. Also, Trevor Ariza is overrated. He got paid for being a role player on the championship Lakers. And David West's game-winner against us pushed me over the top.

Emeka Okafor wasn't playing tonight which was a blessing because he habitually destroys us on the boards. Thabo Sefalosha was listed day to day which resulted in another start for James Harden. My emotions concerning him are as inconsistent as his 3 point shot. I like the guy but he needs to fill the role that we drafted him for. If that can't be done then another solution needs to be found. Settle down, Presti groupies. I know it is his 2nd year which is why I'm not demanding to trade him for a basketball rack...yet.

Early on, Kevin Durant was absolutely on fire. He scored 21 in the 1st half which had me dreaming of witnessing his first 50 point performance. When the 2nd half got underway, I was happy to see that halftime didn't cool him off. As KD continued to rain down jumper after jumper, I thought the basketball gods had heard me. But then something amazing happened, because it is the NBA: Where Amazing Happens (Ka-Ching). With 6 minutes left, KD had an open look on the left side. Instead of stroking yet another bucket, he made the extra pass to Jeff Green. You just don't see that stuff. Our superstar was lights out all game and was easily in reach of a career milestone. Instead of striving for a personal goal, he was focused on getting his teammates involved and securing the win. Granted, the win was never in jeopardy at or past this point, but to see him play unselfish basketball really caught my attention.

OKC went on to win the game playing virtually the entire 4th quarter on cruise control and clinched the possible playoff tiebreaker against the Hornets. Durant was on a different level than everyone else tonight and it wasn't even close. If Durant's stats are any indication, and they have been so far, he is going to continue on this scoring tear through February.

Here is the box score courtesy of ESPN.

Next up: @Phoenix Suns, February 4 at 8:00 CT.

No comments: