March 10, 2011

Late Turn-Around Leads to Win

Man what a roller coaster. With a little over a minute to play, I was preparing excuses. With 40 seconds left, I looked up from the list I was making, ya know, just to make sure. With 12 seconds left, I turned the pencil around in my hand, eraser ready to do work when I commanded. With 2 seconds left, I stopped erasing them all to see if KD would hit another game winner.

This is karma paying us back for the New Orleans game that we had in the bag until David West buried an elbow dagger. While the hair on the back of my neck lowers itself, let's move on.

I know Philadelphia has been playing well as of late but I still underestimated the difficulty level of this game. Iguodala is a good player, but not worth max money. He is not alone though. There are some others out there who have gotten the same overrated treatment (see: Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson). Elton Brand is past his prime, Jrue Holiday is a solid youngster and Spencer Hawes hates OKC. Basically, you have the real A.I., an aging big man, a young point guard who is still improving, and Spencer Hawes. Scared yet? Me neither.

With the upcoming schedule, OKC has a pretty good chance to string a few wins together. Getting the first one in Philadelphia would be a good start. The Thunder started off slowly but weathered the storm and kept the game close.

Durant finished the first half with a double-double which is always a positive. I have this theory. If Durant wanted to rebound, he could average double digits. However, he likes to run the break and score instead of crashing the glass. I don't mind it because we are winning. Also, I must comment on the defense played by Durant.  Not a huge deal, just think about it. Moving on...

As the game wore on, I was hoping it wouldn't come down to the wire. Not only do they struggle with drawing up effective last second shots, it was also on the road which doesn't help. But late in the 4th quarter I would have been happy because that would mean we weren't down by an insane amount.

That's when  KD took over. First it was a runner that made it a one shot game. Then came the deep ball which, in slow motion, was incredibly well defended by Iguodala. Luckily for us, it went through and OKC was hoping for OT, much less another shot with a little over 2 seconds left to win.

Huge nights turned in by Westbrook and Durant with help of a Nick Collison double-double really made the difference.

Here is the box score courtesy of ESPN.

Next up: Detroit Pistons (23-42), March 11th at 7 pm CT.

No comments: